2 Corinthians 5:17

"If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away, behold, all things have become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17

Monday, October 11, 2010

Call of the Road

Call of the Road

I'm drawn by white lines on a blacktop road,
Where it would take me, I do not know.
To explore the adventure, I'm ready to go.

As I travel the way I've not gone before,
The road narrows around each bend more and more.
Yet, feelings of uncertainty I calmly ignore.

My desire is to see where the road winds,
Devoiding any reason of any kind.
My heart is pounding as I figure in my mind.

The excitement of the unknown bids me to flirt.
I must see where it will lead me and stay alert.
What lies beyond the blacktop is now a road of dirt.

Day is turning quickly into shadows of night.
The darkness unsettles me with a bit of fright.
With trembling hands I turn the lights on for greater sight.

Every sense in me is attentive and aware.
No road signs are out here in this land of nowhere.
Nothing that tells me anything is here but what wildlife shares.

My mind wanders, “if something should happen to me,
Would I be found out here?,” Begins my mental plea.
I cannot turn back, this destination I must achieve.

I'm encouraged beyond what I see and feel.
The call to continue is now much more real.
The dirt road suddenly ends and I'm at an open field.

“Have I just driven to an ending of nothing?”
Then, I hear a call, a faint sound, a voice that sings?
In this moment of stillness and skies of black, to God I cling.

My ears listen attentively with great desire.
My eyes are opened to a distant flaming fire.
A rush of desperation pulls me into the field of briers.

I run with all the power I have inside.
My heart, nor mind did not deceive me or lie.
It wasn't just a road trip to see, or a joy ride.

There is a purpose directed by the Lord's hand.
A divine appointment I do not understand.
I am now shocked as I see a face of a prisoned man

He's screaming for help from the car's raging flames.
His voice was really singing the Lord's name.
I now understand why God brought me down the road I came.

The fire's blaze grew with eagerness and rage.
I heard the man singing a song of praise.
By God, I was lead here to rescue Him today.

Within power not of myself I grew strong.
Moving quickly I heard now a thank you song.
I know without a doubt, I was right where I belonged.

No comments:

Post a Comment